The addition of microspheres to printing inks is a simple and efficient way of surface modification. Varieties of surface could be realizable by adjusting the amount and size of the added microspheres without affecting the original process. Specifically, once the printing matter with microspheres be heated to a temperature at which the microspheres expand, the binder would crosslink, making different particle-sized microspheres result in different surface appearances and touching feelings. Usually small particle-sized microspheres bring a smooth surface while large particle-sized microspheres give a relatively rougher one. In addition, if the expanding temperature could be held properly, it would be possible to control foaming process so that surface types with vary foaming volumes can also be obtained.
Provided that microspheres are added to the printing ink as a foaming agent, and are printed on a surface of paper, non-woven fabric or textile by gravure or rotary screen, desirable surfaces like three-dimensional effect, velvet or suede surface would come into being. Besides, it also brings impressive tactility with anti-slip effect.
The addition of microspheres can bring the following advantages to wallpaper:
- Three-dimensional pattern effect.
- Velvet texture.
- Adding different particle-sized microspheres may result in different surface appearances and touching feelings. Usually, small particle-sized microspheres bring a smooth surface while large particle-sized microspheres give a relatively rougher one
2 Printing paste
The addition of microspheres to the printing ink not only keeps print beautiful and everlasting, but also brings different types of tactility as well as the following advantages:
- 3d effect printing;
- Strong adhesion and good wash fastness.
- Strong coverage with saturated color, never leaks background color.
- Bespoke production according to customer’s order like low/medium/high velvet type, different foaming rate and temperature resistance.
3 Dermal repair
The combination of expanded microspheres to the stucco coating or primer can repair leather damage due to scratches and streaks. The closed cell structure of the expanded microspheres is fine and uniform, which can help achieving remarkable repairing effect by making the leather surface glossy again.
Microspheres offer the following advantages for dermal repair:
- Excellent filling ability
- Reduced shrinkage
- Highly polished;
- Soft touch.
4 Artificial leather
Coating the expandable microspheres on PVC or PU artificial leather would bring a tactility like suede. Other surface effects can also be realized should the amount and the particle size of microspheres be adjusted accordingly .
Besides, microspheres also bring the following advantages to artificial leather:
- Excellent elasticity
- Air permeability
- Soft tactility
- Various surface types are available (smooth/rough) owing to different particle sizes.